Saturday, January 16, 2010

Profiles in Courage: Pfc. Noah Clark

By: SFC Jason Allgood


BAGRAM AIRFIELD, AFGHANISTAN -- As the Soldiers of the 82nd Sustainment Brigade begin to settle in on their new assignment, they all have one thing in common the Afghan “crud”. What is it? Why does everyone have or is getting it? These are some of the great mysteries of the world, what is for certain is when it’s your turn; you will be taken care of.

Pfc. Noah Clark sits in the troop medical clinic (TMC) just before sick call begins; it’s 7:45 in the morning and if the past few days are any indication it could be a long day.

Clark is new to the Army having been in the service for less than a year and is already on his first deployment; joining in February of 2009 the 23 year old the Fairfield California native was off to Basic Combat training at Fort Jackson SC and then Fort Sam Houston, TX and the Combat Medic Course. Arriving to the 82nd SBDE medical section shortly before deploying this married father of two has already spent almost a year away from his family but he knew this was coming. “I was expecting it, a Soldier Deploys, does his job and comes home.” Explains Clark.

The door opens, a patient enters he’s coughing and looking tired. Clark slides on the blood pressure arm band and places a thermometer in their mouth and sits back. It’s the “crud” body aches, slight fever, sore throat, tired, coughing, you name it. In a way this is the fulfillment of a dream for Clark. “I’m looking forward to the bread and butter of my job, I want to fight and heal all within close proximity” Clark says.

“I joined the Army for the people who came before me and those who are serving with me… I wanted the stability the Army offers, I wanted to travel the world, I wanted my schools paid for and I wanted to be something special, I really wanted was to be a Soldier.” Clark expounds.


With a sharp pop, Clark pulls the rubber gloves off his hands. The patient puts his ACU top back on and Clark reminds him to wash his hands often, drink plenty of water, eat regularly and exercise. As another patient gets his medicine Pfc. Noah Cark continues his quest to defeat the Afghan “crud” and heal his fellow soldier. “It’s the greatest job there is, no where else could I do this, serve my country and my comrades”

No comments:

Post a Comment